Friday, June 19, 2009

Chapter Eleven

My apartment situation wasn't working out as I thought it would.  The manager was ignorant and always snooping around the house to see what I was doing inside.  I started suspecting that he was coming in when I was not home.  Of course, I didn't have evidence of the accusation and my only option was to move.  I called around to a few people to see if they had heard of any vacancies around town.  One conversation led me to an old friend named Desiree.  She had been looking for a room mate to share her place with because her old room mate bailed on her.  She was living in a three bedroom basement suite on the east side of Vancouver.  Everything was perfect except my only concern was how was I going to get Kiarrah to my mother when I needed to work.

I still had time to figure out the details of this possible resolution and so I went to see the suite and loved it.  It was cozy, had a back yard and the family living upstairs are the owners of the house and not in the least bit nosy.  After visiting on a few occasions I decided I was going to move in with Desiree.  The neighbors had a teenage daughter who offered to babysit, so traveling to my mother was no longer an issue... at least for the days that I was running late and didn't have time to travel back to Burnaby.

Desiree had a part time job in a pub, but she wasn't getting very many hours.  She was able to manage and make due financially, but was stressed because she wasn't making extra money.  I had already told her what I was doing long before I moved in with her, which I noticed had caught her attention when we spoke.  I didn't go into too much details because I wasn't really ready to share my experiences with people yet.  I was still insecure and nervous about where it was I had been and all the things I had done while I was there.  Despite growing comfortable with my life was currently, I was still somewhat apprehensive.

One day Desiree came home and asked if I knew someone she could buy some weed from because her dealer wasn't available.  I only knew of one person named Tony.  I made a few phone calls and got his number and asked if he could stop by.  Tony was the go to man in Vancouver.  He had the brand name clothing in his trunk and a concoction of narcotics available for those interested.  He charged a delivery fee, but Desiree was fine with that.  So, Tony came over and I introduced the two to one another.  "Desiree, Tony, Tony, Desiree.  She's looking for some weed and wants to know your prices.  I'm going to leave you two to deal with this and I'm going to be in my room with Kiarrah."

Their transaction was over and done within five minutes and Desiree knocked on my door to let me know that we could come out.  "Thanks for that connection.  He has great product."  "Yea, no problem."  "So, how is it that you know him?"  "Well, he used to come into the massage parlor to sell clothes to the girls, amongst other things, obviously!"  "What massage parlor is this?"  "A spot called Madam Cleo's on Richards."  "Is that where you worked before working for Jamie?"  "Yea.  Not a bad place, but definitely not the best either."  "Do you think I could make money there?"  "Yes, but trust me when I say it is not an industry you want to get into cause it is hard to get out of!"

Desiree had her mind made up, so instead of telling her not to do it and letting her go in without any knowledge, I taught her most everything I thought she would need to know, at least for Madam Cleo's.  Slowly but surely, Desiree was working there more than she was at the pub.  Tony was coming over frequently for what I assumed to be more weed transactions.  I was busy working, coming home late, sleeping most of the day, waking up with Kiarrah for breakfast and lunch.  I would bathe her and then send her to the neighbors and off to work at Jamie's condo I would go.  Jamie was getting upset with me because I was coming in late when I had to take Kiarrah to my mother's house.

"I'm not entirely sure what the issue is or why you're late, but I can't tolerate it.  If you're going to continue to be late, I'm going to have to fire you and find someone else whom I can rely on."  "It's just that my neighbor can't always watch my daughter and when she can't I have to take the bus all the way out to Burnaby and then back downtown."  "Why didn't you tell me that before?  I've been trying to sell my old car, but I just can't let it go because I don't want it to go to just anyone.  It was my first car and I love it dearly and I would actually sell it to you."  "How much are you selling it for?"  "I would sell it to you for a thousand."

Jamie walked away sulking, I could tell she didn't really want to sell her car, but wanted to help me since I was a friend who was also helping her.  She knew I would take care of the car and so she took me to see it and I loved it.  It was a 1987 Ford Thunderbird, custom paint, custom wheels, tinted windows, very sporty, yet luxurious at the same time.  I called and received a quote on insurance and decided it was a great idea.  Each pay period Jamie would deduct $250 for the money I owed her for the car.  It actually worked out really well for both of us.  I was never late and she got to see that I loved the car just as much as she did.

Desiree and I kept missing each other because she would come home after I had already left for work and by the time I came home she was sleeping.  In the morning, she would get up and let her dog outside, make her breakfast and leave and I wouldn't even hear her.  By the time I woke up, she was already long gone.  Majority of our communication was through hand-written letters slipped under each other's doors, mostly to ask if the other could grab something from the grocery store on their way home the next day.  We tried to make it a point to see one another over the weekend, but that too was dissipating over time.  I started noticing that the days that Desiree was home from work, she was keeping herself in her room with the door locked and the windows blocked.  She would stay in her room silently and I would assume she was sleeping and would leave her alone as I didn't want to disturb her.

Jamie and I had plans to go out on Saturday night, so I thought I would invite Desiree.  As our usually way of communication was slipping notes under the door, I wrote out an invitation and waited for my response.  'Hey Corey, I don't think I can make it out this week.  I'm tired and just wanted to stay in and relax.  I hope you and Jamie have fun.  Talk to you soon... XOXO  Des.'

Jamie and I went to a strip club called Brandy's and then we went to a club called Starfish.  When we were at Starfish, I saw Tony and walked over to him.  "Hey Tony, what's goin on?"  "Hey, how you doin?"  "I'm good.  I haven't seen you in a while, you don't stop by the house anymore?"  "Na, Des usually grabs all she needs from me when I hit the spa, she saves the delivery charge that way!"  "Oh yea, that makes sense."  "I'm a little worried about your girl though cause she's getting into other things over there, you know?  And it seems the habit has grown rapidly.  Watch your girl, she's a good girl and I don't want to see her get all fucked up, but I gotta make my money too and if she's buying, I'm selling."  "I'll keep my eyes on her.  Thanks."

If that didn't put a damper on the night, I don't know what would!  "Get over here you little bitch!  You thought you could get away from me?  I knew it would be a matter of time before I found your ass."  I had left the club without Jamie and was walking towards my car.  I wanted to go home and check on Desiree.  Tony had me worried and I had noticed that she was acting strangely lately, but I assumed it to be that we just had conflicting schedules.  It was Ronnie's voice, but he had put something over my head and had a knife in my back.  "You don't have Kiarrah anymore, I'm not afraid of you.  You better let me go right now!"  I heard him talking to someone else, "open the door dammit, hurry up!"  I kicked back into his shin and he just laughed, "it hasn't been that long has it Corey?  You forgot that I like it when you resist?"

I tried to free myself, but I couldn't.  He had me thrown into the back seat of a car and someone else was driving.  He pulled the  hood off my head and looked at me.  "My my, aren't we beautiful tonight.  Meet any men in there precious?"  I just rolled my eyes and looked at who it was that was driving.  It looked like Aaron, but I couldn't be sure.  "You smell like gin Corey, have you been drinking?"  "Would you get off of me and let me go before I make a scene!"  "Do what you like, you're not leaving until I'm finished with you."

They drove me to Stanley Park and parked the car not too far down from lookout point.  Ronnie told me to get out of the car.  The door on my side had the childproof lock on and the windows were power, so I had no choice but to get out on his side.  He grabbed me by my hair and threw me against the car.  "Go for a walk.  I'll call you when I'm done with her."  "aaight, hurry up though man.  I ain't tryin to be here all night!"  Ronnie slapped me in the face, "so you thought you could get away from me and never see me again huh?"  "You're an idiot, let me go!"  "Trust me, I will.  I don't need your sorry ass anymore, but you do have to suffer the consequences of your actions... do you know what I had to go through after I found out you were gone?"  "I really don't care."  "Ok, good, cause I don't want to talk about it!"

Ronnie began ripping my clothes off.  I tried to run, but he had a death grip in my hair.  He raped me again.  I offered to give him head and I had plans of biting his dick off, but it was all too obvious and he just kept pounding my body from behind while holding my hair.  When he was done he told me to put my clothes back on.  They were all ripped and torn.  I was imbarrassed and ashamed of what had just happened.  So many of the memories kept playing in my head and if I had any sort of weapon on me I would have definitely used it at that moment.  But I didn't have anything with me.  I was  partially exposed and bleeding at the lip.  My hair was a mess and I wanted to go home.  He opened the door to the car and I just stood there.  "Listen, you can stay here or we can drop you off, what would you prefer?"  Being that we were in the park after midnight, I took the ride back to the city.  They dumped at the same location they had grabbed me and at this time the streets were empty.  Everyone had already gone home or to an after hours spot by this time.  I went straight to my car making sure no one was looking.  The last thing I needed him to know was that I had a car, but also, the plate number is registered to my address and I didn't want him finding Kiarrah.

I drove straight home crying and speeding.  Once I got there I went straight for the shower and stood under the running water for over an hour.  I heard a knock on the door and instantly, I flashed back to the birthday beating Ronnie had given me last year.  My eyes opened with shock and I didn't answer.  My surroundings were not incorporated into my thought process and I didn't even realize I was at home far from where any of that had happened in the past.  I remained silent as Desiree knocked again.  "Corey, are you ok?"  Instantly a sigh of relief came out with a tremendous cry "Desiree, he raped me!"

She came in the bathroom.  "What happened?"  "Ronnie found me and raped me."  Nothing much was said after that.  I got out of the shower and we went to the living room.  She held me as I cried for most of the night.  When I woke up, she had left.  I thought maybe she was in her room so I knocked on her door.  There was no answer, I was going to walk away and write a note, but decided to open the door instead to make sure she wasn't home.  I turned back around and opened the door.  She was sitting on her bed in the dark snorting a line.  I quickly closed the door and shouted back "sorry, I wasn't sure if you were home or not."  Tony was right, she was getting worse and I felt responsible.

No comments:

Post a Comment